Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Declining Salaries in the Yachting Industry
dissedandfranchised
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 12:38 PM

Even disregarding static wage levels Vs. inflation, it would seem that yachting salaries are falling in real terms. Salaries are the same, if not lower than they were a decade ago. Given the escalating levels of certification and training required, this inverse relationship with remuneration seems perverse? As the yachts get ever larger, are salaries on the decline? Is the market saturated with crew? Are commercial crew entering the industry with lower salary expectations? What do you guys think???
John Doe_1
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:44 PM

I think the whole industry is perverse. I left after 15 years, 8 of which were as cheif mate on 50M and above. Everyone running around like gods gifts believing they are so skilled and professional. I liken it to modern slavery and the only thing professional is the fact that you are on call 24/7. That doesn’t make you professional. Managers afraid to hire crew with actual skills in fear of being outshined. I am now working in the commercial sector and I make more than I did in yachting in a lessor role and have full benifits including retirement pension and access to employment insurance should I need it as well as disability if something bad should happen to me without worrying about how to feed my family. The salaries are the same if not lower than they were 15 years ago and the market is saturated with yachtmasters and waitresses looking for jobs. Thank below deck for that one. I also get 6 months paid leave. Every day worked is a day in the bank so I get the monthly salary year round with six months off. Crew are more professional and skilled. Everyone has their own cabin and the industry doesn’t toss you out when you get older and lose your looks. Yachting was very fun for me for a  umber of years but you need to carefully plan your exit so you don’t become an alcoholic crew agent living in a foreign country or a “ varnisher ” begging for daywork living paycheck to paycheck. If yachting could up their standards, honour the hours of rest system and create paid leave rotations I think it could be a great industry once again.
Manfred matthies
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:56 AM

II agree completely with John Doe and was working in the commercial sector before  starting in the yachting industry. This was in 1968 on Australian bulk carriers were we had exelent conditions.After working for over 50 years on yachts I must say that modern slavery still exists on yachts.

Average 5 out of 5
]