The dreaded CV, (not after I get my hands on it), has the literal translation of "the course of my life". I will get straight to the point, no one in this industry has the time to read the stories, the adventures and all the fluff you got stuffed into your CV. Save that for the interview! I have been rewriting and restoring CV's for the past year and I have seen it all! (At least I think I have). One person sent me their CV and no kidding, it was 28 pages, 28 pages!!! Seriously??? Well, being the professional I am I turned that into a two page CV with an extra detachable reference page, returned it to the client and they went ape!!! They couldn't believe I could translate their 28 page story into a functional and effective CV, well folks that is what I do! For consideration send to me at email@example.com I will help you help yourself not to be left on the docks another season. I will give a few hints here of late and of yesterday! Firstly, the picture, ( which actually is a form of discrimination you know), yet a necessary evil in this industry, must be a smiling happy front lit photo, not cropped or cut from your party photos in professional garb conveying the seriousness of the position you are going for which should be included in your objective. One more I will give you....DOB, marital status and passport or visa numbers are confidential and should NOT be included on the CV. (Another form of discrimination fodder for the lot). If you want your CV clean, concise and eminating a positive impression of you and your hard work thus far, then consider a CV Restoration! I will help you. Quick story, I received several CV's in the last hour, both of the young maidens of the sea were in hot dresses with five inch fmps (how do you walk the docks in those).....need I say more....seriously? Finally, many success stories to tell, one in particular was a transition CV, one I took on for a client from sea to land transition, hours, honestly, hours after I sent it back, he was vying for a position in Miami for house manager with no house manager experience and through the power of the CV and his strong interview combined....Viola!!! I hope one day I can tell your story of success! Hope to hear from you all very soon! Chef Peter Z From the Sea!! Signing off for now! I take out the fluff and put in the right stuff!!
I am looking for work on yacht as an entry level crew, i have worked on cruise lines as Guest service agent(Front office), Shore excurcioen Agent(Tours) and a Crew Agent for the past 7 years.
Would you kindly take a look at my CV and see if it can be written in a better way to impress the companies hiring, since i dont have any experience on yachts and getting a positive feedback from employers is difficult.
Address: 10/A, Arab Bldg; 2Flr, 12th Khetwadi lane, Mumbai – 400004, Maharashtra, India.
Home: +64 9 278 2186
Date of Birth: March 18th 1977
For the past 7 years I have worked as a Guest Service Officer at Princess Cruise Lines, Where I have developed my customer service skills. Although I have greatly enjoyed this role, I am always looking for challenges that will provide me with the opportunity to further develop my career.
Seafarers Training Certificate of Watchkeeping-95
• Personnel Survival Technique certificate, School of Synergic Studies, Mumbai, 2002
• Elementary First Aid certificate, School of Synergic Studies, Mumbai, 2002
• Personnel Safety and Social Responsibility certificate, School of Synergic Studies, Mumbai, 2002
• Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting certificate ,Ocean Prima Institute Pvt Ltd, Mumbai, 2002
• Basic fire behavior and portable fire extinguishment practices Juneau, Alaska
• Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat Carnival, UK
• CROWD MANAGEMENT certificate, Onboard Superstar Virgo, 2002
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
C.D.C No: DB00038744
Date of issue: 13th July 2006
Commonwealth of the Bahamas
C.D.C No: 22347
Date of issue: 13th April 2002
United states of America C1D Visa valid till 10 Jan 2016
United states of America B1/B2 Visa valid till 22 Nov 2019
• Team player able to multi-task under high stress and tight deadlines.
• Adapting to ever changing situations and working in an international and worldwide setting with people of various capabilities.
Duration: June 2006 – Present
Title: Junior Assistant Purser/Front Office
Responsibilities as a Junior Assistant Purser/Front Office:
• Dealing effectively with general shipboard enquiries from passengers.
• Resolving passenger complaints and ensuring proper follow-ups.
• Providing cash handling service which includes cashing of personal & travelers cheques.
• Collection of revenue via passenger accounts, registering of passenger credit cards or other payment methods.
• Daily balance cash box of $10,000 etc.
• Selling of postage stamps and other paraphernalia at the reception.
• Balancing foreign currency exchange machine, updating current exchange rates, loading foreign currency on a daily basis and preparing daily reports for foreign currency of $250,000 for the Senior Accountant.
• Dealing with queries and problems of guests as the Assistant Night Manager and managing the reception desk as a supervisor on duty.
• Managing the details of billing system for Art Auctions held onboard cruise ships.
• Casino audits for box collection with the casino Manager.
• Managing new joining crew members and daily cash float of $30000 in Crew Office.
Responsibilities as a Senior Tour Staff:
• Providing customer service standards that meet or exceed Hotel policies and procedure.
• To upsell tours and achieve financial targets.
• Regular participation in tours to gain complete knowledge of all tour programme.
• Monitoring the tour dispatch and all tour returning back to the ship.
• Ensuring all complaints are listened and understood and swiftly and satisfactorily resolved.
• Preparing invoices for tour operators.
Responsibilities as a Crew Agent:
• Managing new joining crew members
• Balancing a daily cash float of $30,000 in crew office
• Ensuring the new crew joining have valid paperwork and documentation
• Daily foreing currency transactions with crew members
Stream India Ltd.
Duration: January 2003 – March 2006.
Title: Team Leader
Responsibilities as a Team Leader:
• Handling a team since July 2004.
• Managing a team of 15 Customer Service Representative.
• Preparing daily Management Information System report.
• Preparing daily client and billing reports on excel.
• Training new batch of Customer Service Representative and monitoring the quality of calls.
Star Cruises PVT. LTD
Duration: May 2002 – October 2002.
Responsibilities as a Waiter:
• Serving Passenger
• Bussing the food trays
• Cleaning the restaurant
Successfully completed B.Com in 2010 from Bharatiya Shiksha Parishad College affiliated to Lucknow University.
• Football (Represented college football team in 1996 and 1998).
• Travelling and exploring cultural experiences.
Name: Amarjeet Singh
Job Title: Senior Assistant Manager
Company: Princess Cruises
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Name: Shweta Adlakha
Job Title: Sr. Team Leader
Company: Stream India Ltd.
Posted by: Sharat Shetty at 29/01/2014 02:14
|hi peter, |
I am looking to get back into the yachting industry, after a first season cut short due to injury.
Could you kindly offer constructive criticism of my CV and see if I can improve my chances of being hired for my dream job, and dont worry I've managed to keep it to 2 pages.
Thank you in advance for your help.
D.O.B : 31st July 1985, (age 28)
Nationality : British
Driving License : Yes
Contact : +44 7813567959
Height : 163cm
Weight : 58kg (127lb)
I am seeking work as a Stewardess or stew/deck. My aim is to increase the scope of my licenses, and gain future experiences both interior and exterior, working towards achieving my Yachtmasters.
I am a versatile self-starter with an energetic personality with both charter and private experience. I enjoy good company and new people, taking as much pride in myself as I do with the task at hand. Under stressful times I remain job focused ensuring attention to detail. My hospitality background has made me very resilient; accustomed to working extended hours in situations both physically and emotionally demanding. I genuinely relish a challenge and set my standards high. I am adaptable to new environments and am comfortable with owners, guests and crew.
STCW 95 BST Certification (June 2012)
11 years experience in hospitality and catering industries; hostess, barista, basic mixology, silver service, waiting-on, kitchen and floor management.
Stewardess/hostess on dive boats in Australia and Thailand. Assisted student divers and as a team maintained the interior of the vessel.
Computer Literate: proficient in Microsoft office programmes and OSX for Macs.
Spanish to basic conversational.
STCW 95 Basic safety training, Isle of Wight, UK, June 2012
ENG1 (August, 2012)
Powerboat Level 2 (August, 2012)
PADI Rescue Diver
Personal Trainer (Level 3, 2010)
Clinical Nutrition (Level 4, August, 2012)
Health and Hygiene (Level 2, 2010)
B.A. (Honours) in Leisure and Sport Management (2003)
Daywork, Deck S/Y Kokomo, 58m 28/10/13-17/11/13
Worked for 3 weeks to accomplish a variety of deck related cleaning and detailing tasks, included teak scrubbing, cleaning of captive winches and lockers and a thorough clean/organize of the lazarette. Using previous diving experience I serviced the on board dive equipment.
Delivery Crew/Crew Chef S/Y Bequia, 30m 12/10/13-21/10/13
Delivery from Palma, Mallorca to the Canaries. Cooking for 6 crew. Detailing the interior of the vessel. Food and interior provisioning, laundry, watch-keeping and general deckhand duties.
Stew/Deck/Cook S/Y Karina, 20m 15/03/13-28/06/13
Duties include all aspects of running and maintaining the interior. In addition, provisioning, food preparation and service for up to 8 guests and 2 crew. On deck I assisted with tender day trips, lines and fenders, cleaning and maintaining winches, teak deck coating and polishing the transom. (Left due to injury).
Daywork, Interior and Deckhand M/Y Nakess, 40m 03/13
Detailing the interior and wash-down after a refit.
Stewardess Ocean Quest, 36m Catamaran 03/09-06/09
Attending to up to 48 guests needs, completing all interior detailing, table service and assisted in food preparation.
Professional Work Experience
Chalet Host, La Marquise Premiere Neige, Sainte Foy, Fr 01/12/13-Present
Ensuring the comfort and security of up to 18 guests. Maintaining a superior level of cleaning and presentation and offering the highest quality table service. Additional roles include bookings of any guest requirements, altering of flight arrangements, child care and in house laundry service.
Assistant Manager Snap Deli, Café/Deli, UK 11/10-02/13
Participated in opening of a new business. Responsible for all Retail stock; sale and purchase. Managed and trained 4 staff in highest standard and courteous service. All matters fiscal. Overhauled cleaning standard by introduced a 21 point quality control guideline system.
Floor Manager Khin Khao, AUST. 06/09-04/10
Managed the restaurant and Supervised a team of 3 waitresses. Meeting and greeting guests. Responsible for all matters fiscal. Trained staff and developed a cleaning schedule.
Team Leader Roundhay Fox, UK 04/08-02/09
Assisted management with day-to-day running of the restaurant. Supervised and managed up to 20 staff. Addressed complaints of patrons. Ensuring the highest standard of unobtrusive dining.
References (written references available on request)
Posted by: Isabel Marshall at 04/02/2014 13:50