RSS Feed Print
The age-old question: adventure vs. career
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:59 PM

Dear crew confessor I want to know why yachting is seen as an adventure rather than a career. Converting a newbie into a valued crew member requires effort from both sides and far too many newbies don't put their best forward, having said that the and few new commers with good heads on their shoulders are showing they mean business and want to make yachting their career.

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:01 PM

What do you expect when yachting is treated as a 'backpacker job'. Basically crew are servants and car wash attendants, not seamen.
captpage
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:14 PM

Adventure YES - When it becomes an ordeal then find something else...adventure will take you to a career and you will never know it because of all fun you will have and the need for more will take you far. You made it work!...so save and make a retirement for yourself no one else will...only spend so-much on portcalls. Take this as you may, I worked for one captain that when you got a draw - with each $100 a condom (M&F) was included, it really make you think about your night out before you got started. We also had two beers at the dock so our body was ready for a good time. This is from an ole timer and maybe you new crews don't party as hard??? Ha Ha
Guy Mannering
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:50 PM

Well it's hardly an office job is it, especially for beginners. I would have never had the opportunity to visit all these exotic places without this career. Most of the time, 3-6 months in, newbies will know if they want to make it a career or not. Also, I think I need to meet Captain Page! Work hard, play hard!
Zenith
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:41 AM

Anonymous wrote:

Dear crew confessor I want to know why yachting is seen as an adventure rather than a career. Converting a newbie into a valued crew member requires effort from both sides and far too many newbies don't put their best forward, having said that the and few new commers with good heads on their shoulders are showing they mean business and want to make yachting their career. 

I find your post quite saddening to be honest, because it’s completely at odds with my personal experience. I genuinely would say that the majority of new crew that I have sailed with are serious and determined people, who have a drive and desire to succeed. I see so many guys in their early twenties working a full day on deck, and spending the evenings revising and studying for their MCA licenses.