RSS Feed Print
New Zealand person needs advise on B1/B2 visa
Rakell
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:25 AM

Hi

Does anyone have advise on the best way to get a visa eg tell them your backpacking around the USA or be honest about wanting a b1/b2 visa for super yacht employment??

katrina.hughes
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:54 AM

I'm in the 'same boat' so to speak... As of this week I've signed up to an agency and the lady suggested I get my B1/B2 Visa from the US Embassy in Wellington (except yesterday I actually found out they process all visa applications at the Consulate General in Auckland (thankfully for me!). I wonder if it's easier to be honest as well as being in contact with an agency so that the agency can back up your claims for finding work on a superyacht in the US.... just a thought though Let me know if you find out any other info as I'm a little lost on the whole process too! Cheers.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:01 PM
Don't inform them that you intend to work on superyachts. In recent years there has been a huge crackdown on dock walkers in Fort Lauderdale and the possibility of being deported. Technically you are looking for work in US and therefore require a green card. Also further to your question yes you can get it from the consulate in Auckland.
I Spy.
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:42 PM

Auckland is only place in NZ for visa and you are required to be at office. Finger prints. Forms on line and make sure everything is 100000% correct. NO B.S. Any record, forget it. This things are only as hard as YOU make them. You only want B1/B2. Bussiness and B2 Tourist. Always remember 2-tourist. There is heaps for thinks you need to know, what to do and NOT to do. 35472331 cheers Nigel.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:44 AM
It seems everyone has a different idea on how to get a B1/B2 visa? any ideas?
Rakell
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:45 AM

Been reading on docktalk forums the last few days.  Still hard to say the best way to go...
katrina.hughes
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:13 AM

This is what I've managed to find out:

It may be easier to say you would like the visa so that you can have multiple entry in and out of the USA.  But DO NOT say that you are trying to work in the US.  The boats are offshore and are not considered working in the USA.  You don't want to get any red flags.  Say something like you are close to getting a job in Central America and it was recommended that you have the Visa so that you could entry the USA easy as crew.  It is a very grey area.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 8:02 PM
Do not mention anything about yachting under any circumstances, whether you plan to be in the US or not. Tell them you are planning a trip/holiday of between 3-5months in the US which would require you to have a visa in order to stay longer than 3 months. Have a mock itinerary of your 'trip' ready to present, proof of funds etc. Any mention whatsoever of yachting and/or work will get you denied instantly.