RSS Feed Print
courses
lloyd999
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 5:03 PM

hi guys and girls, I went onto flying fish and saw they had a course called stcw 95 pro yachting course and it offered so much stuff as well as the basics it had advanced level stuff and cost just over £3k for 6 weeks. However I was wondering is this a good idea or should I just go basic stcw and get vhf radio and powerboat level 2 as well.
Williams_2
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:09 PM

my goodness! 3k!!! 6 weeks!!! To be honest with you, you're not going to need any more than the basics, the advance courses are for when you become an Officer of the Watch onwards, they wouldn't really help you obtain your first job, The single most important thing required in this industry is experance, we require licensing to make it all legal and prove we know what we are doing.

My advise is to do the basic STCW 95 and nail out the PB2 (Power Boat level 2) and VHF license with the saved money, and not forgetting your ENG1, if you want to take it a step further then go for your yacht master

Good luck

Santifer
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:43 PM

I agree, ymo, pb2 or some other courses can be usufull tan expensive ones. If you check the requirements on Jobs offers you will see what the sector demands.
lloyd999
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 5:52 PM

thx guys, much appreciated, best of luck to you all
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 7:04 PM
why do people always push the PB II course? It is such a nothing course compared to the day skipper as an entry level license.