RSS Feed Print
2 Aspiring Aussies
JimmyFaxiaRoxa
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:46 AM

Hi forum, 

This is another "I want to work on a superyacht" post haha, My girlfriend and I are thinking we are going to head to Fort Lauderdale in October (we have friends that did it and love it) after we complete our STCW and a few other tickets to get a leg up. We have no Maritime employment history. I love the water (and brazilian jiu jitsu if anyone here rolls?) mostly my work history has been corporate type stuff.. with a lot of Nightclub managing, Crowd control and security and at times bodyguarding.

Give it to me straight, What are the chances of us getting employed??

I'm confident, but i'd love some input from some more experienced guys and girls.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:18 PM

Issue one is that your trying to land a position with your significant other. Not impossible but very hard to find.

The crew that show boating as a passion in their life, those who consider a deck as stepping stone to a long career on yachts get the jobs.     Not 2 back packers giving yachting a fling for fun.

It's not fun, it's hard work. Often a day work job will get your foot in the door and the name of the game is to do get out and network in crew houses and shipyards.   (when I was much younger the "dockwalk" was what crew did at 5 in the morning after sleeping aboard some other yacht with their main squeeze or even the owners mistress! leaving the boat) 

Your background is weak to me with a real lack of boating experience. 

One great way is to just buy your own boat and move aboard and learn it the hard way. Spend a year on your Morgan 41 and then you will meet lots of other boats.. Cruise the Bahamas and make a living as a bouncer, night club manager, body guard and have more fun than working on a yacht. It's damn hard work. 

JimmyFaxiaRoxa
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 12:06 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm not looking to enter for a season and take off, I legit would like ot really make a go of it, so my intention isn't to fling. I suppose based on what youve said Maritime experience should be our first priority, although I have a PWC endorsement PB level 2 and open water diving ticket currently, By the time I am there I will have

• STCW
  • IYT International Crew Certificate
  • Small Power Boat & RIB Master
  • VHF Radio Operator Certificate

But by the sounds of it I should work on gaining experience over the next 5 months? (although buying a boat would be great)

keep the info (constructive) coming I appreciate it

Cahit
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:53 PM

Hi, finding a job on a yacht for a couple mostly for captains and administrative crew. You will be luck; it can be big large yacht that has crew is more than 20. 

Maybe it can be a option that you look for a job on based land and work day time like sailings, day sailings water sports that will give you some experienced. I wouldn't get a crew has no experience on my boat while having VIP customers and  going out of sea for long time. I give training even well experienced crew that is for sure. I suggest start working on day jobs and have some idea before get stepping on a luxuries yacht.

Theses days who ever pay the cost they take certificate but experience is get the job. Good luck

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:55 PM

It seems like the main thing in this business is if people enjoy your company. So the more people you meet, the greater your chances are. 

Hardly anyone working on yachts had any experience before they went dockwalking. Sure every cv says "I have always been in and around water, water is my passion " but they also state non smoking and no tattoos. 

So give it a go. I don't know if there are statistics on the number of people searching and landing jobs. But if you don't try you won't find a job. 

You already have one thing going for you, your nationality

Cristo-slav
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:45 PM

Hello everybody.I have one question and will be very glad if you give me some answers.So i have been working on ship since 2005(cargo and passenger vessels).I have gained big experience on such kind of vessels but i am not sure if this is enough to get some job as deckhand.I know that the difference  between yachts and cargo or passenger vessel is big but anyway it is some maritime background. I started as Ordinary seaman and after that got Able seaman certificate.(i think that according to MCA this can be accept as Yacht rating certificate if i am not wrong). I have STCW,security certificates also.Can you give me your opinions-do i have a chance and what can i do in order to have better chance to find a job on yacht.

Thank you

JimmyFaxiaRoxa
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll spend the rest of the time trying to upskill and endevour to get some expirence. If only nationality was enough to land a job haha I'm about to apply for the b1/b2 Visa from Australia (any tips?)and going to book flight to arrive October 11th 2015 fingers crossed.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:57 AM

Being Australian the B1 B2 visa should be fairly easy to get. You will normally receive a 5 year visa. 

As far as further training I would strongly suggest, when the time comes, to do your yacht master training here in Australia where you can gain a dual certification of Yachtnaster 200ton and Oz Master class5. This is a smart move as any sea time gained after this also counts towards your Australian licenses...when your done with yachting which will happen one day and you have that Oz ticket it will make life a whole lot easier. Yachting is not all fun and games. It's hard work and the older you get the less appealing living 11 months of the year onboard a boat will be...trust me on this one..Get dual tickets, they do them at a school in Sydney called the super yacht crew academy 

CHOVOW
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 6:09 AM

Hi Forum,

I'am a job seeker and having completed my super yacht training recently,am eagerly waiting for an opportunity to be onboard. I have a diploma in aviation,hospitality and tourism management.. I have worked in the hospitality industry and have  experiences with the high demands of customer service including problem solving and always interested to imply my skills to yachting. I worked as a day work and day trip deckhand/steward on two yachts which equipped me with the can-do attitude towards new skills and time management. The only setback here is that i don't have any previous yachting experience.I'am a beginner but am up for the challenge and ready to sail towards my goal.Can you give me your opinions-What can i do in order to have a better chance to get onboard a super yacht.

MMBanks
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:51 PM

If you want to work on yachts, don't over think it. Just head to Fort Lauderdale and get started. The only thing I'd warn you about is to bring plenty of money and a good laptop. The costs add up for crew housing, transportation, etc. And it could be a couple of months before you get any daywork to help pay expenses. I did what you're doing this past October 2014 after many years in the corporate world. Best move I ever made! Feel free to get in touch with me. I'll connect you to some posts I've done about being a newbie in Fort Lauderdale. Best wishes
CHOVOW
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:01 PM

Thanks for the info..Any tips while applying  for my B1/B2 visa and it would be great if you could give me some reference or  advice for a newbie.
Williams_2
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:25 AM

Hi Jim, firstly I apologise for some of these replys,

My goodness theirs some terrible advice been given to you here! ‘Only captains and admin crew get couple gigs’???? And ‘only couples jobs will be on yachts with 20+ crew’ and my favourite, 'buy your own boat to get experience????', (this guy must be a broker!)  Please! what utter utter rubbish! MMBanks has the right idea 

My first couples gig was as a deck hand and stew on a 47 meter motor yacht (my first boat) lucky? Maybe, but I showed I was keen to learn and a hard worker! Oh and before I joined yachting the only boating experience I had was a few trips across the English Channel on a ferry. (I have hired a green couple on the vessel I currently work on, they are great! )

Day work is the key, you don’t have to be on the same boat as it’s basically a 8-5 job, just let them know when you are on board that you are looking for a couples job, you never know they may be able to help you out, I have helped many good hardworking day workers out with full time work on boats I have friends on.Expect (about $15 per hour in the US and 100 euros a day in Europe) 

Make a good CV (see forums on here about it) 

Daywork to get experience and afford to live 

Don’t get sucked into the ‘yachty lifestyle’ 

ALWAYS be early to work, be the last to leave for lunch and last to leave for home after asking if there is anything else you can do 

Let people know you are looking for a couple and with a bit of luck you will be on your first boat in no time! 

Good luck, and make sure you network!! hope this helps

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:45 AM
Also dont forget dock walking and day work is illegal in the US for non us citizens or people with out a green card so be careful. Make sure you visit every single crew agency, it never hurts.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:26 PM

Hi Jimmy!

My long term partner (of 10 years) and I were in the exact same position as you last September. We flew into Fort Lauderdale (from Brisbane) at the end of September to complete our STCW at ICT and the following week we both continued on to complete respective courses; he a week long deckhand course and I a stewardess course. My partner had previous experience in sailing however I only had recreational experience on smaller motor boats. With a bit of land based experience that corresponded, he a carpenter and I with hospitality experience - we are now on a yacht together. 

To be honest with you we were flooded with negative comments that there was no way we would get on a boat together. We were prepared to wait it out for the right boat and the right crew/captain. After 6 weeks of networking and day working I was offered a position as a 3rd stew on a large sailing boat and within 5 days my boyfriend was on board as a temporary deckhand. After 2 months on this yacht we were offered positions as deckhand and stew/cook on a beautiful yacht over in Spain and we couldn't be happier. 

If you do your courses in the USA, it is cheaper than in Australia and you also have the opportunity to meet people and industry contacts. We met a captain at ICT who subsequently offered us a job, simply from us being friendly in the cafeteria. So you never know! Good luck! Stick with your guns and be prepared that it will take you a bit longer to find something together, save your money, stay positive and as they say it really is about being in the right place at the right time. 

jlindsey3
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:23 PM

Bring your Gi. Lots of good bjj gyms around Lauderdale. American Top Team is close to where most of the crew houses are and one of the top gyms in the world.