RSS Feed Print
Job hunt after being let go
g1985
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2016 2:38 PM

I was let go from my last job on pretty decent terms but its hurting my chances of finding another. Nothing bad happened, but the captain and I didnt always see eye to eye on a few mgmt. things. Said I "wasn't the right fit for the yacht and that I should find a better fit". Any advice on addressing this in an interview?
M/Y Captain
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2016 7:27 PM

My advice is always tell the truth, you don't want to be known as a crew member who lies, = can't be trusted, because you know the interviewer is going to contact your last Captain. Think back about your disagreements, if you come to the conclusion that you were in the wrong, then explain you made a mistake and that you will never disrespect any future Captains instructions again.                    

A little bit of advice on your next position, always do what the Captain tells you, he's the boss.                        

Voice your opinion of course, especially when safety is of a concern and do it in a respectful manner, but at the end of the day you do what the Captain instructs you and with a professional attitude.                                  

Respect the chain of command.                                                                                                                          

Good luck with the job hunt.

Massimo_M
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2016 4:45 PM

I agree 100% with M/Y Captain