RSS Feed Print
New and need advice!!
Roselt
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:38 PM

I need your help!!
I am  a 28 year old male, Caucasian from Namibia,South West Africa and would like to know if I am to old to enter the yachting industry at deckhand level? I owned my own business for the last 3 years so I know what hard work is. your comments will be much appreciated
Ros

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 3:04 PM

Hi Ros,

I went into Super Yachting as a deckhand at age 41, and worked for nearly 4 years on them.

Right attitude and hard work and you will make it.

Good luck

Carlo.P89
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 7:41 PM

Hey Roselt, 

I'm 27, from Namibia too. Just got to Antibes and green.

So far as I've been told while dayworking, you'll be fine.

Just take the leap. 

CaptErik
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 7:46 PM

Have you been on the water, so you get seasick, what makes you think it would be good for them or good for you. Need more info, 28 is not old for deckhand position, but just because you saw below decks is no reason to hire you, and the fact that you owned your own business, without the particulars does not mean anything I have known many business owners I thought were lazy. Best bet is try working day labor and go from there.
exyachtie
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 9:49 PM

Hey! I got into the industry at 27, back in 1999.  I had spent some time on the water but nothing compared to 'yachting'.  I left the corporate world behind and gave myself one year to see if it was something I truly wanted to do.

I day worked while I did the required STCW classes, signed up the with crew agents, walked the docks and just kept pounding.  I had a captain that was roughly the same age as me give me an opportunity on a 114' yacht that was cruising the Caribbean and the Med.  The first mate on board was younger than me.  It didn't matter, because I wanted to learn and was willing to work my tail off.

Fast forward, I stayed in the industry as crew for 12 years.  I worked on some the best charter yachts at the time ranging from 180- 204'.

I have been ashore now six years working for one of the leading brokerage houses as a charter broker.  I'm able to put my 12 years experience to good use.

The best thing I ever did was took a chance in this industry and could not be happier that I did.  

Take a chance, because if you don't you will regret it for the rest of your life.  You'll wonder, 'what if?'. 

Hopefully there's a captain out there that will like your story, see your potential and give you an opportunity to prove yourself.

Good Luck!!!

Roselt
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:06 PM

Thanks for all the info,its much appreciated... CaptErik lazy im definitly not, i have a possitive attitude and know what it is to bend over backwards for 16-20 hours a day... i will do my best and report back as soon as im on the otherside.