RSS Feed Print
Should I even bother coming to Florida in May?
AwesomeTori
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 3:27 PM

Hey all! I've been trying to potentially get into the yachting world for awhile now, but I'm honestly extremely intimidated. I have no server experience outside of my two small contacts aboard small cruise liners (one that was 3 months, the next 4 months. Both of them serving almost every single day). I feel like I could handle working on a yacht. The long hours and the duties, the sea sickness (I've only gotten sea sick like once, and it wasn't even bad. I feel like I kind of have a natural sea leg), and everything included with working on a yacht. I feel like I could honestly excel at. I'm passionate about the industry, and there's nothing else I would rather do. 

However, getting someone to believe me and hire me seems like an incredible feat. I have to wait to get a certain type of contact so that I qualify for my ENG1, so I can't get to Ft. Lauderdale until May. I'm worried that since it's near the end of the high season, it's not even worth going. And maybe I should save up and wait until November.

I'm also worried about funds. After my ENG1. I will have $773 in pocket to live off of until I find a job. I am looking for a Junior Stewardess position, and have been told numerous times that it is extremely difficult to land that position on a yacht. Which makes sense, because it's probably the easiest thing to find. Supply and Demand and all that Jazz. 

I only know of Neptune Crew House, and their rates are around $220 a week. I'm also concerned they may not even have room for me, for they don't let you reserve ahead of time. Is there a crew house that lets me reserve ahead of time, so I'm guaranteed a place to stay? 

Should I just stay home and work and wait until November? I could easily get a serving job here, and that could improve my set of skills to make more valuable to a yacht. I could also spend time in a bartending class, and learning Spanish, both of which would make me more valuable. Would it be worth it to stay at home, and hone those skills? Or should I just risk getting my feet wet and go to Ft. Lauderdale in May?

I've done gypsy moves in the past, leaving without enough funds, and without a backup plan, and I've ended up homeless in the past because of it. I really don't feel like doing those gypsy moves anymore. Therefore, I've come to you guys. I'm kind of frozen with indecision here, and I'm hoping I can get advice from those in the industry about the best way to approach this. 

Thank you for your time.
le-capitaine
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:51 PM

Head for Newport, RI in May. Start checking with crew agencies before that - many of them have summer offices in Newport. Good luck.