RSS Feed Print
yacht buyer/owner's consultant?
Capt. Mike1
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:17 PM

Hello Everyone.  Wanted to get feedback and opinions.  Is there room and need in the industry for a "yacht buyers consultant"?  I know, thats what brokers are for right?  But lets be honest, brokers do not always have the buyers best interests at heart.  An experienced yacht captain could take a buyer from start to finish.  Finding the best size and type of yacht that would suit, setting up survey and sea trial, crewing the purchased boat.  

Would an yacht captain make a better consultant than a broker?  

Captain Monzi
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:57 PM

That's why people pay for a hull surveyor and an engine surveyor to do reports. Those individuals are paid by the yacht purchaser to be impartial. Ya just don't get one that either of the brokers refer...because they want the sale...

If you are not a "turn key" captain, and are somewhat seasoned at doing most of the mechanical maintenance on the yacht, there would be a lot of value there if the yacht owner was hiring you to captain. In my case, my yacht owner is upgrading to a 112-130' Westport and has asked me to be available for the inspections.

CaptErik
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 1:16 AM

No there is not a need for this, that is what brokers are for. Brokers do not always have the buyers best interests at heart, but there is bad in all positions of the industry, what would make yacht buyers consultant any different. Hopefully people do their due diligence and find the right people. I have never heard of telling a buyer what the best size or type which would suit the buyer, everyone that I have seen in my career, already has that in their mind, whether it is best for them or not, it is what they want. With your adding crewing the boat as well, you are talking like a yacht management company, and those already exist.
Manfred matthies
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:17 PM

The best "yacht buyers consultant" is a captain with a long time of experience. He will make sure that a buyer which is maybe his future owner is getting a good yacht. My advice to a yacht buyer is: Never listen to certain shipyard bosses and self employed second hand boat dealers.

craigyacht
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 1:19 AM

I have a tri-deck now.  When I go larger, I will take my current Captain and Chef and Chief Stewardess with me to shop.  They have been with my family long enough to know our needs and likes.

Any Captain/crew who does not know the owner, is no better than a broker

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:56 PM

Yep, when were off a boat we all dream of the job with all the boat and none of the owners. I think you most likely will not survive trying to make a living off of "owners consultant" There is already a position that is called Captain. 

If I find a potential buyer who wants to pick my brain and go with them to a boat show then I will ask for my daily rate. I have done this a few times for folks I work for at the time and between jobs.

There are "honest brokers" as well as "honest shipyard managers" The late Bob Derecktor was as blunt as can be. On a sea trail he told the potential buyer, my boss, that he would see this piece of "ship" more than the owner would use it. If he wanted to waste his money go ahead and buy it as a restoration project. 
We did buy it as the owners wife loved to color of the interior. 7 million dollars later we had a great boat we sold for 900,000 after 15 years. It did spend nearly 3 years in the shipyard. Can't often tell a very wealthy person anything.