RSS Feed Print
Super Yacht Mental Health Survey
Luke James
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:58 AM

Hi All, 

I’m currently conducting a survey for educational purposes towards a dissertation.
Titled 'What steps are being taken to combat mental health among yacht crew and are they effectively reaching the intended audience?'

Once collected I will open source the data to bring recent and relevant knowledge to the topic of, mental health within the yachting industry. Currently with over 200 responses, the data collected is very interesting.

An introduction to myself and why I feel passionate about this; I’m Luke-Harri James and currently a Bosun in the industry working towards OOW. After hearing of several suicides onboard and instances of crew being unable to cope with the stresses of the job, resulting in them leaving the industry, It made me wonder, what is being done to combat the problem? It is still a subject that few have addressed.

My basic research has led me to several articles posted by brokers, recruitment agencies, management companies and maritime welfare organisations. While some surveys and reports are aimed at the welfare of crew, is the necessary information reaching the crew who are in need?

If you are interested in sharing your thoughts and aiding in the collection of data in any form, whether it is a small post on social media or an email to your contacts, I would like to hear from you.

The link to the survey is: 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YachtingMentalhealthsurveyDW 

Kind regards,  

Luke