RSS Feed Print
letter of initial assessment
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:12 PM
Joined: 13/09/2010
Posts: 9

Can anybody help me, please? I studied marine engineering in Spain, but I´m not an officer yet. I like to start working on yacht, so I decided to start with the AEC course, and then apply for a LIA. I sent my documents(university degrees,STCW,AEC) to MCA but now they ask me for a letter from NARIC (organization in the UK) to accept my more delay with my application and of course I have never been informed that I should send this letter previously. has anybody outside UK applied for a LIA before? It´s so difficult? Thanks for any advice!!!
Posted: Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:32 PM
Joined: 02/06/2008
Posts: 342

Have you applied for a Spanish maritime license based on your training and degree?

If you can obtain a Spanish Certificate of Competence you don't need to waste time or money in the pursuit of an MCA license, and certainly not to chase a yacht limited license.

Where do you stand with regard to Spanish licensing?

Posted: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:59 PM
Joined: 07/06/2010
Posts: 8

Yes...why would you take the longest way ?
You just need to apply for your Spanish ticket .....and as soon as you have your STCW ticket you can always apply for a MCA CoE ...*certificate of Equivalence to have your MCA ticket if you really want!
By Maritime International Law and STCW convention your IMO ticket is valid on board of any flag state course you have to prove to know the flag state language and this can be done through the CoE ....

All the best

Posted: Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:29 PM
Joined: 13/09/2010
Posts: 9

thanks for your advices!!!, I thought that it probably was going to be easier and faster than wait until I get my 2nd engineer on commercial shipping. I just have some few months of sea service now but I really want to start this next season.