RSS Feed Print
Need your advice on getting B1/B2 visa (First timer)
Edward_whay
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:08 PM

Hi everyone, this will be my first yachting season in the caribbean or anywhere. I am currently based in the UK, due to start my STCW95 mid November. I am looking to fly out to the Caribbean either Dec/Jan. How would I go about getting my B1/B2 Visa? Do I...... - Secure a job from the UK first, then apply for my visa in London? or - Can I fly to St Maarten Ttravel waiver visa) and find someone who will employ and help me with the visa arrangements? This is all very new to me so any help would be fantastic! Edward
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:35 AM
Hi Ed . For first timer is difficult to secure a job ( specially deckhand) far from the yachting scene , but who knows . B1B2 is only for the US territories and can be done in the UK even without captain s letter ( I have one, and done it without capt letter) but you have more chance with it ( depend where you do it) . For st Martin, You don t need a visa if you are from the EU , itsFrench/ Holland . Note if you are from SA you might need a specific visa for this Island. There is some yachts out there they don t operate in the US territories so ........ Good luck .
Bjorin
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:22 PM

hey, I intend to do the same thing, so thanks for the info! Edward, i've just lost my travelfriend due to her not brilliat economy.. and I would like to have someone to start out with in st.martin as i've heard you might have to stuggle for a while before getting a job... if you wouldn't mind travelling with a social swedish woman of 20, please send me an e-mail! annika.bjorin@hotmail.com
ratpack
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:40 PM

Ed. (and anyone thinking a career in yachts is for you) Save your money and stay in europe. Get a job on a smaller boat that doesn't need even an STCW to take you on, get a year or two under your belt and then STCW and other quals. Stop looking at the big shiny boats and thinking they are for you as a newbie - it's most likely they are not. Least of all head to the Caribbean looking for a job, the vast majority of boats that have arrived there will have arrived fully crewed for their season