Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is salary based on nationally and race?
Soaking wet
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:47 AM

Is there a secret pay scale for race and nationality?

Are some crewing agents undercutting the market and supplying crew from less affluent countries?

Zenith
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 1:32 PM

No secrets, it's well known that different nationalities can be on different pay scales. It's nothing to do with the agent, it's about the Captain/Owner/Management companies requirements. 

I've sailed on yachts with Asian crew and only British Officers with fixed salary scales, and I've worked on completely mixed nationality yachts with a mix including Asian officers and Western crew. On the latter yacht, the contracts were individually negotiated and generally those of 3rd world countries were paid less then those from 1st world countries working alongside them. I've also worked on a yacht where there was more equality amongst salaries. 

So, where do in want to take this topic? 

Jossie
Posted: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 3:42 AM

I think this is very important.  It's not professional (and totally unfair) that "3rd world" people who work as good as "1st people", having the same and sometimes more knowledge dont have the same pay for their work.
AYC
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 2:34 AM

Absolutely there is a difference in pay scales between nationalities, we were recently involved with a yacht that has an English and Fillipino deckhand - they both have the same responsibilities and same work load yet the Fillipino that has a greater skill level is paid 500 Euro less per month.  This is for no other reason than the salary negotiation with the captain when the crew member was employed, and certainly nothing to do with crew agents.

Different countries around the world have different levels of remuneration, what may be considered a high salary in Asia could be the equivalent of an entry level salary in Europe. If nationalities are placed in the same work space with the same responsibilities then yes I believe they should be paid the same but this does not happen - this is where the Dockwalk annual salary review is such a useful tool for crew to use when negotiating their salary. 

We recently had a job request to source an Asian nationality Chief Engineer for a 30m Yacht, the salary offered was low at just 1,500 Euro p/m, I suspect the captain knew he wouldn't find a western nationality Engineer to work for this rate but was more surprised when we actually declined to assist as we felt the salary was well below industry standard. 

Salaries are largely determined by the Captain in budgets and communication with the Owner, boat shall pay what has been set in the budget and what a crew member shall accept. 

We work extensively throughout Asia Pacific and with many different nationalities of Asian crew, each placement we are involved with always has an process of negotiation relating to salary, benefits and inclusions for the contract. What ever the salary for any crew member regardless of nationality it has normally been agreed to by a mutual negotiation. 

AYC Superyacht Recruitment
www.ayc.com.au 

Average 5 out of 5
]