Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Too much Drama
boatingetc
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:24 AM

I've been thinking for a while whether or not I should even post this, but I'm going to. Since October 2012 I've been trying to go after my dream of working in the yachting industry. I've been fortunate and found some amazing full-time and daywork positions, but nearly 18 months later I'm not really happy with the outlook. There are hundreds of very qualified people who try to get into this industry, spend thousands of dollars on schooling and end up leaving empty handed because the position is filled. I have a love for yachting because I love the sea, because I love boats in general, from kayaking to powerboating, to sailing and jetskiing, I love every bit of being "on the water". Sadly, 18 months later, be it my personality or my physical appearance, I'm about ready to call it "quits" from the yachting industry. I am now 25, I have my 100 ton master inland license and in two weeks I'm going for my AB, Lifeboatman and Radar certificate so I can work commercially. I never imagined myself even thinking about working on a commercial ship or a tug but I miss having a steady paycheck and "job security". Over the past several months, I've traveled the East Coast USA, ate some amazing meals, went to some amazing "ultra-rich" parties, but nothing has been steady. I think it's a good job for someone who is single and wants to travel and have fun in their life, but it's a bit difficult being in a relationship and still trying to maintain a job, as well as saving up enough money to stay in a busy port such as Fort Lauderdale.

While I'm not saying I'll never be in yachting again, I think personally, I'm ready to make the transition to work commercially for a while, make some money and pay off my debt that I got from working on land. I look forward to the day I can afford to buy a cheap, used sailboat and continue to work and enjoy being on the water. I enjoyed walking around the 2012 and 2013 Fort Lauderdale Boat Show, not to look for a job, but to enjoy the beauty of all of the vessels there. 

I guess from what I've learned, if you want to get into yachting, first off, make sure you have enough money to stay in a crew house, then walk the docks, and check online for daywork positions. Learn about the yacht, the products used on board and talk to as many people as you can. I think it comes easier for some than others, but go after what you really want. For me, I just want to work and spend some time away from the dock. It doesn't hurt to check out the "flagship store" for West Marine in Fort Lauderdale, walk through the isles, pick up the products, read them, learn them because you will for sure see them being used in just about any yacht you work on. 

As far as schooling, I would recommend you have at last your STCW, but don't go too crazy with schooling. I've met too many "yachties" who have gone "overboard" with taking more classes than they have experience on the water, and find themselves empty handed and end up leaving yachting all together. 

I'm not saying a career in yachting is bad, but I'm not saying it's good. It is what it is for each individual and you can only know how it will be once you take the "dive in" and see for yourself. There are thousands of boats from sail to power to commercial to tug, just takes some time to learn where you really want to to be. 

Best wishes and happy sailing to all who read!!

Caroline von Broembsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:53 PM

As you get older you find Everything in Life is part good and part bad, the question is which do you focus on? The one you do focus on then grows..either the negative or the positive.

While one does have to sacrifice for dreams, a relationship etc, life asks you to push past the inertia, to keep going. Someone climbing Everest could give up,,, thousands do, thats why few summit it. So the question is really..is it Really your dream? Or do you want it to come easy?

Because dreams dont

Its been my dream and I had to give up an entire architecture career, my home country and my family for it, but its bought me more love and a relationship in its place.

Dont quite, stick to the fight when you re hardest hit, or find your real dream instead.

Some people get cancer...they cant just a quit

Be gentle on yourself, but if its your dream take the universe to task, and tell it what you want, then keep fighting...but not from your head..fight with your heart....eventually it will give....

Good luck!

Oh and ps....maybe the "dream" was leading you to a different version of it all along....it doesnt have to be pretty superyachting..you might end up on an environmental expedition to the arctic..far more fun in my mind

And now WELL DONE,..on all your awesome achievements. I expect to see great things from you!

Caroline 

BandB
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:25 PM

Yachting careers do have two major potential negatives. One is that it's not typical employment and many find themselves working inconsistently. For many it's like a consulting job rather than a regular full time employment. 
The second negative is that it's like any job that involves travel but that's multiplied by hundreds as it means being gone months at a time. I cannot imagine being married or in a relationship in the industry unless working as a couple. However, I've talked to a few who have. Their statement is that they very much miss their partner. However, with the periods of off time, the extended vacations, they do find quality time together, more than perhaps they would in traditional jobs. 
But the things the OP pointed out are very real and anyone entering the industry needs to be aware. 

boatingetc
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 1:09 AM

Thank you for the great responses . And to sorta change it up a bit, I guess it's not so much about the drama, but so many boats just sit at the dock. Not that I want to travel, but I am on a boat after all, there is so much more to this world that just sitting at the dock. But Why would most guys want to move their boats anyways? It cost's so much and if it's private, they aren't making any money, whereas a commercial boat, has to move to make money. Regardless which way I turn, if it floats, I love it. That's the beauty of the maritime industry, there are so many branches and your not limited to a small radius around your house, but rather anywhere around the world!

Average 2.5 out of 5
]