Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
hope someone could give me some advice!
sany
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:39 AM

I'm hoping that someone could be of some assistance to me.  Any information you could provide me on the following would be greatly appreciated.I'm hoping that someone could be of some assistance to me.  Any information you could provide me on the following would be greatly appreciated.

I am 27 years old and considering making a career change into the yacht (deck/engineering) industry.  I've spent much of my time growing up by the sea and have tried various types of water sports but, unfortunately, have never gotten the chance to take on sailing.  I've always had a passion for boating and sailing, so I have finally decided to make changes my life and go for my dreams. 

I am planning to do my yachtmaster offshore at either UKSA or Flying Fish in April, but I'm concerned that I may be too old to begin this type of program. With my past experiences, I consider myself very good in doing the adjusting to the lifestyle and the progression of the industry..  I'm choosing this as my life path because its not just a career to me, it would be my new life and my new passion.  From what I can tell, many people start this career when they are very young, however, regardless of my age, I still  embody the drive to begin at the bottom and work my way up to success in this industry.  
 Do you think 27 is too late to begin this type of career change? 
What is your opinion on the two schools I had mentioned?

BandB
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:37 PM

sany wrote:

I'm hoping that someone could be of some assistance to me.  Any information you could provide me on the following would be greatly appreciated.I'm hoping that someone could be of some assistance to me.  Any information you could provide me on the following would be greatly appreciated. 

I am 27 years old and considering making a career change into the yacht (deck/engineering) industry.  I've spent much of my time growing up by the sea and have tried various types of water sports but, unfortunately, have never gotten the chance to take on sailing.  I've always had a passion for boating and sailing, so I have finally decided to make changes my life and go for my dreams.  

I am planning to do my yachtmaster offshore at either UKSA or Flying Fish in April, but I'm concerned that I may be too old to begin this type of program. With my past experiences, I consider myself very good in doing the adjusting to the lifestyle and the progression of the industry..  I'm choosing this as my life path because its not just a career to me, it would be my new life and my new passion.  From what I can tell, many people start this career when they are very young, however, regardless of my age, I still  embody the drive to begin at the bottom and work my way up to success in this industry.   

Do you think 27 is too late to begin this type of career change? 
What is your opinion on the two schools I had mentioned? 

As we're in the US, we aren't familiar with the two schools. However, as to your age, I think many would like additional maturity that you may have. It might occasionally be seen as a negative, but I think it would work more for you than against. 

sany
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:21 PM

Thank you so much BandB. appreciate your time and advice.

I know many are against yachtmaster fast-track courses but according to my circumstances and the researches, it seems like the best option for me even though they are pricy. Apart from the seatime and experience what other qualifications or elements do I need to have a good start?

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 11:12 PM

Hello Sany,

Your not too old at 27 to begin a career in yachting however do understand that it is very competitive out there and you must be willing to do anything to get your foot in the door which means not afraid of doing the hard work, dirty jobs and long hours.

With regards to doing the yacht master offshore it may be better to wait until after you have cut your teeth in the industry before outlaying a lot of cash for something you haven't even tried yet. Do you STCW95 and a basic deckhand course. Captains will be more interested in your social attitude, work ethic and ability to learn and follow instruction and order rather than a piece of paper that you honestly know nothing about or will use at this stage. Anyway you need sea time and some practical experience first and this carries a lot more weight than anything else for you right now. 

When finding a boat to work on sometimes the smaller ones are better at your level as you will learn so much more on one of these. Due to limited crew you will be asked to help out with everything. On the big boats you will hold a hose and a polish rag and that's it. A 45-55m boat which crosses on it's own hull is probably best for you.

Try to stay a year on your first boat it shows this commitment. During this time decide if you want to follow a deck path or an engineering path. I'm a deck officer and have done 13 years in the industry and can tell you that if your interested in engineering follow that path as it has greater benefits

Chef Peter_1
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:49 AM

Hello Sany, first thing you need is a CV that will get you noticed and some connections!  I can produce an awesome CV that will do just that plus I will direct you to the right jobs to apply for and get you working!  The industry sometimes discriminates people because of their age, therefore I have taken DOB off my format along with other discriminatory material..  For a CV I take out the fluff and put in the right stuff, send me your CV at opistolpete@yahoo.com  You have to take steps to get where you are going I can show you a way!

Peter Z- CV Restorations and Revivals Manager

sany
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 12:25 PM

Thank you so much Anonymous. Your advice gave me a great perspective from whole the thing.Actually I am more interested in engineering path rather than deck path. The main reason that persuades me to go for the Yachtmaster course is competitive nature of the industry so it assure me a abit that I have a better chance to find a job that is good for me as I do not have any of those required experience to start with. I know there are many young deck walkers and qualified job seekers in the industry so it seems easier to just say it to start with basic STCW 95 but in reality I feel like I am missing something.

thank you so much for your advice.

Average 4 out of 5
]