Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Gear, clothes...don't forget the Teabags.
Eoin Mulligan
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:25 PM

Need some advice on what to pack , leaving for Antibes on the 23rd. Apart from the essentials sock/boxers pair of jeans and shorts yada yada, What do I (and I'm sure a lot of others) need to be thinking of. I'm referring mainly towards work, White shirt, slacks are on the cards for interviews and dock walking, but touch wood if I find Day work what should I have at the ready. Secondly, regarding Mobile phones, is it the norm to hold on to your old network or is it suggested I pick up a French sim? I'm from Ireland also, so setting up a bank, probably no point right?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:59 AM
I would def get a french SIM, so an unlocked phone would be handy, a return ticket home in case things don't go as planned and some kind of back up way to get money out of your bank account in case you lose your wallet.
Eoin Mulligan
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:49 PM

good idea on the backup , i Actually wouldn't have thought of that and of course something would happen to me. One way ticket though buddy, It's all or nothing for me. I have about 2000euro saved up for after i finish my STCW . I don't expect it to last more than a month with hostel prices and general surviving so I really got find work asap. This isn't a summer job to me.

Do you have any suggestions as to what i should Buy clothes wise , regarding actually work on the boat for daywork ect.... I was just planning on buying a few polos and cargo shorts. will this be ok, I know it seems a silly question but i dont mind looking the fool online, it's on the dock I'm worried about.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 8:16 PM
Good man for getting out of Ireland and into yachting!! I did the same a few years back have been around the world, and haven't looked back. Try and get your ENG1 done at home it's way easier to find a doctor quick visit. Network, meet people, don't get hammered it's not good and keep a positive outlook no matter how many nos you get keep picturing yourself on a yacht and you will get a chance. Work hard, keep the head down, do not think everyone is your friend. Keep away from drama and use your Irish charm. It's worked every time for me! Good luck
Henning_1
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:23 PM

Some khaki shorts, some blue shorts, some t-shirts that don't have offensive slogans on them, some polo type shirts, a pair of good leather flip flops (I like the Sperry ones)... Most importantly for dock walking: a couple of microfiber rags and a tube of Flitz. When you walk the dock, rather than ask "do you need any crew?" ask "do you need some stainless polished?" because the answer to that is always "yes". For phone, get one that takes 2 sims.
Eoin Mulligan
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:44 PM

Cheers for the info Guys, I managed to get my ENG1 the other day and the Phone I use at the moment is a Sim free Block but it should do the Trick.

Average 0 out of 5
]