Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Fort Lauderdale: Round 2 (Fall '14) - What do I need to do differently from the first time?
Daniel Stone
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:08 AM

Hey all,

In need of some help, if y'all don't mind? I'm 26, carry both American and British citizenship/passports, and was not one of the lucky ones this spring/summer season to land a job aboard a boat. It's alright, but now I'm planning to head back to FTL in Mid to late August(or sooner, not sure yet) so I can be there EARLY before the next season gets started. I arrived in FTL in late March of this year, so I was a bit behind the rest of the crowd. I learned a lot, dayworked a lot, and had a few opportunities that seemed like a go, but ended up fizzling out. Anyhow, I'd like to cast a net out here on the forums and see if anyone has any pointers that can help me(as a new guy) set myself apart in a GOOD way. I'm afraid that my lifestyle choices(not really a big party person, and a very light drinker) might have put me into the category with some folks as a "downer", and it seemed to put me outside the circle sometimes. Not that I'm used to being "in the circle" anyhow wink

I'm new to the industry, but am fully committed to this going forward. Really wish I had gotten started in this 5-6yrs ago. I feel my resume needs a bit more "zing", but everyone I ask about it gives me conflicting points of improvement that counter what others feel is fine? I work hard, don't complain, and look to be a benefit wherever I work/go. But it does get a bit disheartening when you see other folks(especially the more handsome blokes) get these wonderful gigs, traveling around the world, having only dayworked just a few days/weeks, when you've been at it for almost 2 months, 4-7 days/week working/networking. Again, I'm not complaining, just making an observation. I networked/went out regularly with other folks from the crew house where I stayed(Sam's), and was pretty much always willing to work, even if something came up on a "rest" day.

Anyhow, I'm only back in LA(my home town, but I'm itching to leave, getting a bit restless) at the moment because things slowed down A LOT before I came back in the beginning of June. I also had the opportunity to do some photography-related work(my prior career the past few years), so it looked to be more profitable than sticking around FTL during the off-season. I couldn't afford to fly to Europe to continue my search, as I worked through most of my extra cash the past 3 weeks(aka when it got slow work-wise). I'm planning to return to FTL earlier this time, before the season starts to heat up(but if you have any rec's, I want to get there early, but not too early). My thought was mid/late August.

Please, if anyone has any recommendations on where to focus my efforts on my resume, I'm all ears. I'm re-writing it presently, and want it to read easily/efficiently. I'm a "straight to the point" kinda guy, but  I want it to communicate that I'm not a robot, but a human being, if you get my drift!

I am currently looking for a position as a deckhand, but am happy to aid in the engineering dept as well, and relish in "getting my hands dirty" when it's needed. I don't have any engineering or deck tickets at present, other than my STCW, ENG1, AND Powerboat L2. I don't believe in being a "paper captain", having a piece of paper w/ no real-world experience. I want to learn, I want to work, and I want to get hired. I'm just looking for some tips to help me get there as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your time, I'll check back in to see what happens, and maybe put in a few more questions if I feel there are any amendments/additions to be made.

cheers for now, and thanks again

Dan

The Yachtie Glow
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:19 PM

Hi Daniel,

So many crew go through this same thing and eventually find a job. Stay positive and budget hard to make your time last longer in Fort Lauderdale.  As you know you will never get hired from LA as a green deckhand.  

Also you are getting hired for daywork so to me, that means your CV is fine but it's possible that what is happening when you arrive on board needs some changing.

You are right about looks being important on boats but obviously, its not everything.  As a Chief Stew/Purser I have hired many Stewardesses over the past four years.  I've also been involved with the hiring decision for Deck crew and Engineers so I do have a perspective on what they are looking for.

Captains and First Mates are looking for deck crew who have the following qualities:

1. A personality they get along with and who will get along with the rest of the crew. Someone who blends with the other crew and who is friendly.  A big portion of crew are not Americans so if you come across very stereotypically American, this could hurt your chances of being hired.  It's sad but it's true.

2. Someone who is keen to work hard and is obviously not lazy. You need to show that you are willing to help out anywhere that is necessary.  Offer to help the Stews clean up lunch or offer to take out the garbage for the Chef if you're passing by.  

3. Someone who takes directions happily and also has the intelligence to figure some things out on their own. Do not try and over step your  bounds by acting like you know everything.  This will infuriate the first Mate to no end.

4. Someone who does not have annoying habits such as talking loudly or being loud with other bodily functions

5. Someone who presents themselves well, does not have tattoos that show etc.  YOu need to look like a yachtie so that the Chief who is hiring you can picture what the owner or guests on board will see when you are standing there to greet them.

6. Someone who shows respect to the crew and officers on board. This is where many other cultures have an advantage of us as Americans.  Captains and Chiefs want to see that you understand rank.  Respect all crew but show extra respect to the Chiefs.

Daniel I hope this helps.  I write a blog called The Yachtie Glow where I give tips on travel, health and being successful in the Yachting industry. Check out this article I wrote on how to be successful at Dayworking 

http://www.angelaorecchio.com/scored-a-day-work-gig-how-to-be-a-star-make-them-want-you-back-again/

If you know anyone one else who would benefit from my blog please pass it on!

Angela

The Yachtie Glow

Travel, Health & Yachting Inspiration from a Super Yacht Stewardess

Average 0 out of 5
]