Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Help getting started
brunopietoso
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 8:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to try and aim for a job working as a boat crew. I have no previous experience and have signed up to a few websites regarding job hunting but I've just come across this website and thought I'd share my questions with you in hopes that someone could help me out.

I am considering a change in career. I've recently relocated to New York City but have no interest in working office jobs anymore. I never considered working on a boat since I always thought it was either too late for me or didn't really know where to start.

I have a friend who used to work at the same job as I did and when the company went bust he decided to pursue the career as a boat skipper and it turned out quite alright for him. He did go through a couple of courses before doing so.

I don't have much money to invest in courses at the moment so I was looking for a more "practical" approach, meaning, working on a boat for free or little money but being able to gather practical experience from doing so. I think deck hand is usually the entry position?

Is that something you guys would advise against or for? Where should I start looking for such opportunities? Specially living in NYC...

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Bruno

Big Dog_2
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:39 PM

Bruno

Whilst you should be commended for your initiative, you should remember that crew rely on wages and this devalues them and you.

If you have noexperience of the industry my suggestion is to spend time at a local sailing club and learn the basics.

Alternatively, a career in the Coastguard or US Navy would put you on the rungs......

Good luck

CaptPancho
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:49 PM

Bruno,

There a plenty of websites that connect boat owners with free crew. Join a boat and help deliver it somewhere. It's unpaid, but they'll feed you. These boats don't hire crew at all, so you won't be hurting the paid crew industry. Expect a less than perfect trip, on a mom & pop sailboat/cruiser. These experienced won't count that much on your CV b/c there is no customer service side, but you will gain sea miles and prove that you can handle a crossing. You just might encounter someone looking for a paid deck-hand in what ever port you land in.

PJ

Soaking wet
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:13 AM

When I was working commercial fishing it was not uncommon to take on green crew for the first two weeks of the opening of Banana Prawn Season in the Gulf of Carpentaria between the Northern Territory and Queensland Australia.

We called these poor buggers "Tucker Deckies", solely working for food and a recommendation from the Captain, and believe me 24/7 fishing operations with minimal sleep and endless hours in the tropical sun, good, bad and worse weather never gets easy.

Like all newbies the dream and reality are not in sync and far and few of these fellas made the grade, that being said the tucker deckies that could take the stress, pain and abuse of established crew got a ride during the Tiger Prawn season which is far less intense.

Working for free is a fools game if you ask me and certainly driving the value of entry level crew and experienced freelancers and semi pro day workers.

I mean why pay a good person for a good job when you can pay absolutely nothing for someone to the job five times and pay to remove the spilt varnish removals, scratches and collateral damaged yielded for saving the boss money and taking advantage of a naive young person.

If you've got drive you'll find a way and find a job.

Yachting has gone from a passion for the sea and boating to a world pub tour and blurry view of foreign lands from the local english or irish pub.

Sure work for free, but what you get paid is a real measure of what your doing, which is nothing for yourself or the employer.

Good luck and pray that you don't injure yourself or someone else when you are working, because if an owner or captain is that cheap its doubtful you be on the insurance policy and will be kicked back to the dock with even less chance of getting a real job because its a mates game, unless you look exactly like a picture perfect deckie or stew.

Average 0 out of 5
]