Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Heading to Antibes in June 2013, too late?
Mung97
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:31 AM

Hey guys
Im currently in the process of getting my STCW95, ENG1 and RYA Level 2.

Ill be travelling through South East Asia until early June, and will end up in London a 18th June, My initial plan was to head straight to heading to Antibes and the surrounding ports in search of any jobs day/casual/permanent in late June, though im wondering if this is too late, and if its better if I wait untill the next season?

Opinions or personal experiences?

Thanks in advance
Matt!

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:22 PM
Matt, you are clearly trying to break in to the industry....my best advice for you is to start early in the season to optimize your chances, however a job can be found at anytime. It has very little to do with timing and more to do with experience. You seem to not have any or you would already know about June in the Med. Whatever you should chose to do....when you get there, put your head down and work. Don't let everyone see you getting smashed up at the bars and be humble. Do not come in making salary demands or other because you read in some stupid magazine that yachting is a gold mine. Like anything in life you must work your way up. Good Luck!!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:10 AM
HI,
In my first season I headed to Antibes in April and this was far too early as I spent alot of money without finding work..Work began to come in mid may/June.
That said, getting a job requires experience and without it you will probably need to get some daywork under your belt. The day work starts flowing in mid june and reaches it's peak July and August slowing down again in September, though there is still work about, and pretty much halting after the Monaco Boat show. The work involved is generally on yachts that have to do a very quick turn around between charters.
So I would say that if you get there in June, be sure to stay in one of the crew houses as these are the places the Yachts call when in need of workers and they are also great for networking.
It is hard to say exaclty when to go.. but I would say that you will be fine in June,
Good luck... it's not easy being green,

Mung97
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:46 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I know itll be hard to find work being a newbie, but I am determined to work, and know being a deckie espeically a green one will require hard work and perserverence. Hard work isnt new to me, ive done plenty of labouring in the past, and have experience in the kitchen/hospotality industry, so these are traits which I think will help me in sourcing dayjobs to get abit of experience under my belt and to add to my CV. I will definately be looking at accomodation at a crew house to meet new people, and network and find work. Was never going to be easy but its something I have been wanting to do for a long time!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:28 PM
I see the jobs first hand and I can tell you that the best way to know where to go is to track the yachts to see where they are before you start buying plane tickets and booking crew housing. Last year hundreds of crew showed up in April in Antibes and the majority of the yachts had not yet left the Caribbean yet . marinetraffic.com is a good way to keep an eye on them. This was a strange year, there were still a ton of jobs going in the Med in Nov. and Dec. with some yachts still on their way to the Caribbean in Dec., so it will be hard to say what this season will be like. I think the hurricanes had a lot to do with boats sitting in the Med for so long, so don't be surprised if they stay in the Caribbean as long as they can. It's my guess that the Med will not get going until late May or June, but time will tell!!!

Lex!

Mung97
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:53 AM

Thanks for the advice Lex! That marine traffic website is very handy! Seems to be quite busy with a few yachts docked currently in Antibes and the surrounding areas, hope its still busy in June.. Ill be booking myself into the Crew Grapevine when I arrive, seems to be the best place to stay in terms of location, reviews and gives me a good chance to be able to meet other like minded yach crew and network, and the seminar that they run should prove useful also. Anyone else from New Zealand heading/will be in Antibes this year from June onwards??
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:30 AM
YES! I am from NZ and am heading over to antibes too. Despite what has been said above I am still heading over at the start of April. Although from the excessive amounts of research I've done to date on the industry I may well be still kicking around in June looking for work! You never know! Where in New Zealand are you from!
Mung97
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:25 AM

Fair enough, better have abit of money saved if your turning up that early! Haha, where are you looking at staying? June is the earliest I can head to Antibes as ill be travelling prior to that.. And basically see what happens from there, I'm from Wellington, you?
Nick_Gunn
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2013 6:22 AM

Hey Matt!

I've just completed the Superyacht Crew Course up in Warkworth, NZ and I'm planning on heading to Antibes via the UK in the next two weeks. Planning on staying at the Crew Grapvine also.  Like you, little bit nervous about heading over with season already well underway but I figured there's always going to be opportunities, just have to look hard and work hard. Best of luck mate and hopefully see you over there!

WDR
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 7:01 PM

Hi, I'll also be heading to Antibes in about a week. I'm not too sure where I'm staying as yet as I'm still waiting for the Navy to send me STCW 95 certificate and don't want to book anything preemptively, but it's looking like the grapevine might be first choice if there is space. See you all down there!

Will

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 1:55 PM

I'd say too late, many boats are crewed.

Call all the agencies if they say its quiet for people with experience it will sadly be quiet and limited for someone new to Antibes. I've seen some people dock walking since March and nothing perm for them yet.

Maybe you've missed the boat for this season....

dockwalker69
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:52 PM

Hey all.

i will be heading to Antibes in august and i know that half way into the season but hey, if we do not try we wont know.
thank you anonymous for the heads up but i am sure like each and every one of us you did start somewhere at sometime . I hope you are settled with a great position.happy   i guess we have hard or else stay there for the winter ( find a yacht that needs a deckhand for the winter and try again harder next summer..
I am leaving a great job and life behind to start a life in the super yacht industry because i know thats where i want to be and i am willing to give it all i got.( been on cruise ships for 2 years)
So all the freshers out there, stay strong and keep trying.. will join you guys real soon.
happy cruising  sailors ..

AuzzieChick
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:47 PM

Hi there fellow future crew friends :o) 

I am also heading over to Antibes first week in August 2013 from Sydney, Australia. Very very excited to be starting a new chapter in my life and my career.... 

Hope to bump into some of you along the way.... :o)

Malcolm
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:11 AM

Hi, I'm planning to head to Antibes in April 2014, just want to see how any newbies faired this year. Was everyone able to find some work?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 3:37 PM

Hello,

I would just like to second the comment above. I am thinking of heading to Antibes in June or staying in the U.K to save some money and get some power boating experience and then head out in August/September. 

It would be lovely to know how you got on finding your new job and perhaps you would be able to give some advice to us that are new to the industry, just as those who helped you did last year. 

Thanks

Gibbo
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 11:20 AM

Hey Everyone,

Another bump to this thread.  I am also considering my options between Ft Lauderdale in the second half of August this year.  Just wanted to see how the season looks this year, and what are my chances in Antibes?

Thanks

Average 2 out of 5
]