Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Antibes 2014
AnnaBelton
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 3:01 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought I would start a conversation for anyone heading to Antibes next summer (2014). I'm heading out in march to look for a Stewardess Job,  would be good to get to know a few people  

Adam Oosthuizen
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 8:50 PM

Hi Anna, pretty sure I'll be heading that way too. Where are you going from?
AnnaBelton
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:43 AM

Hi Adam, 

Going from Somerset in the UK, what about you? Im a newbie to the industry, where are you from?

claire.proud13
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:52 AM

Hey, me and my boyfriend will probably be in Antibes too. Currently in Fort Lauderdale. I'm also new to the industry so know how you feel

Claire

owenanderson
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:47 AM

I'm from Melbourne Australia and also looking to head to Antibes for the 2014 summer as a Deckhand. I'm currently in Whistler for the winter season so will probably head there at the end of April when the winter season here finishes, then complete my STCW95 at Bluewater. Can't wait!
Lucie
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:09 PM

Hi Anna,

I would like to go down to Antibes in March 2014. Do you have any idea where are you gonna stay down there?

Lucie

AnnaBelton
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:04 PM

Hi Lucie, I've heard of lots of crew houses but the best sounds like The Crew Grapevine, I think it's the most expensive but they're friendly and it's homely with printing and wifi. Its probably a lot cheaper to get a flat with a group of people but i think its better to stay in a crew house as they help you a lot. Add me on facebook, Anna Belton, I've made a facebook group for everyone heading to antibes so we can help each other out, i will add you too it
EmmaHerzfeld
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:06 AM

Hi Anna, I will also be heading to Antibes around the same time as you. I have booked into the crew grapevine for April 14th and job hunting as a newbie also. Add me on Facebook if you like it would be great to chat with you and be apart of the facebook group you have created Emma Herzfeld
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:21 PM

Hi all

First and foremost, good luck on your quest to get a job. It's great fun, great sights, and incredibly hard work. If you enjoy being so tired you can fall asleep standing up (several times, especially in 36C heat); out of breath after walking up a few stairs; and woken up to collect some drunkard from a pier using their idiotic directions that takes 15x longer than it should do, you're in the right industry! Other than that it's fairly good fun...

Anyway, Jason and Jennifer at The Crew Grapevine in Antibes are fantastic, and really do make it their mission to get you a job. After a spot of bad luck and a daywork drought, when I dropped my rent round to their flat, they invited me in and sat me down amongst screaming child and barking dog, pans boiling over and TV blaring, and really went hell for leather at every option they could muster to find me a job. They didn't manage it, however I did end up getting a job with a contact of theirs (2 months after they initially put me in touch with him, but that was more my persistence and brash approach.)

They are expensive but they are a service not just a bed. Their places are very safe, very secure, and the people there are generally very cool. If they unintentionally let an idiot in, the idiot doesn't stay long.

I've not heard the best things about the other crew houses, but what'd I'd advise is to stay with The Grapevine for a few weeks and find a flat with a few friends as soon as possible. I was paying €210pppw (for my girlfriend, too, so €420pw). I was there for a month and then found a great little flat in Cannes for €250pw for both of us. Expensive in comparison to the next place we found which was shared with a few of our mates at €90pw! A friend of mine has recently acquired somewhere shared for €160 per month... and it's very smart. Sharing is key!

Last bit of advice: don't take prisoners. Walk ahead of anyone on the dock at the same time as you; get up 15 minutes before your flat mates, DON'T walk with someone of the same sex or going for the same job role; don't wear yachtie gear - no polo shirts, no khaki shorts, no navy shorts, no boat shoes. Dress smart, wear a shirt, or girls a blouse and nice skirt/trousers. Wear nice shoes. You are asking for an interview for a job at a €30m venue, why do any less? If you wanted to be a fireman, would you dress up in a fireman's outfit and stand outside the fire station?

If it's raining and finger numbingly cold (and believe me in March it will be), get out there at 7am on the dock waiting for the first crew member to appear. You'll be the only one out there, but that's the whole point. If you don't have an umbrella, maybe they'll take pity on you...

Turn down that 'last drink' at midnight, those who stay out are either employed and have the liberty (and the hangover experience) or are unemployed for good reason. Everyone with a job knows exactly who is and who isn't a newbie, you stand out like sore thumbs with your brand new boat shoes and weird non-yacht fashions...

STRIKE UP CONVERSATION! I love talking to people, it gets me a break... especially girls... Girls, FLIRT WITH THE GUYS! Guys, FLIRT WITH THE GIRLS! Use what your mother gave you! (Girls have it easier here because most female crew will be inside unless they come out to answer the doorphone.) Yeah sometimes we'll be in a bad mood, cold, wet, busy, hungover, but take it all with a pinch of salt and be interested. Just be interested. It's not a job, it's a way of life.

Don't sell yourself short. Don't offer to do work for free. That means the work you do is worth nothing to you. Plus, €120-150 per day is pittance to the boat.

Network with EVERYONE! Give numbers out, get a business card, talk to everyone, talk to the old boys in the pub. I almost got a job through a guy I watched the rugby with in The Quays. He was an old London builder who built a lot of villas for the Arabs and Russians. You never know who anyone is, and with that, don't piss on a wall, or fall over in The Hopstore, or throw up in the Blue Lady. Your next captain could be stood behind you.

Good luck!

AlphaBravo
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 4:47 PM

Thanks 'Anomynous' for your advice!!
Hi all,
I'm looking to head down in march/april too to get work as an engineer. I'm from devon, hoping to sail down if I can find a lift Good luck everyone!!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:30 AM

you aren't really looking for a job interview when dockwalking, you're looking for daywork. if we need a dayworker we aren't going to grab someone in dress shoes and long pants.

organise an apartment between about 6 people in antibes. don't bother with cannes or anywhere else to live, everyone you need to see is in antibes and if an agent calls and asks for you to meet them you want to be there quickly, not waiting for the failure of the french railway system. I'm not saying you won't have an interview in cannes or anywhere else but you are normally given a days notice with them.

Britton222
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:18 AM

Hi Anna and others,

I am looking to travel out to Antibes in early March so would definitely be good to chat with you guys before the 'leap of faith' so to speak. 

New to the industry also but hoping as I'm a fully qualified personal trainer and nutritionist this will swing in my favour. 

I'll try and find this facebook group! 

If you guys want to add me: https://www.facebook.com/darryl.britton

DaleHumphreys
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:03 PM

Hello all, me and my girlfriend are also heading down from Bath next March. Although we'll be staying about 30 mins away from Antibes. I'm hoping to get work as a deckand/engineer and her a stewardess role. Has anyone done their STCW somewhere in the UK? We're planning on doing it at the Compass Sea School near Bristol as its only an hour drive for us. However, the next course isnt until late Jan / early Feb and they still wont give us any concrete dates.
AnnaBelton
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:21 PM

Hi Dale,

I'm from Somerset and not doing my STCW until early february. I'm doing it in portland/weymouth if that's not too far of a drive for you have a look at the website http://www.quality-time.info.

If you and your girlfriend want to add me on facebook (Anna Belton) i will add you both to the group i have made for next summer and we can all chat on there

Tsurinski
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:07 PM

Hi guys i'm from Bulgaria .I wish to find out job on yacht as ETO mostly in Antibes.My intention is to come with my Campervan in mid of March,2014,what do you think does it worth it according my expencies: 12 l/100km,distance approx.2200km(single trip) price in my country is 1,33euro/litre, tank volume 70l,gas bottle 6.8Kgs(full bottle is apprx. 10Euro),aux generator 2stroke 0.7l/h consumption 220V/50Hz,650W(used for power supply of my laserjet printer 400W to printout endless CV's 100copies/min,Notebook and Powerfull WIFI WEP Hacking passwords anntena)?I would like to increase my knowledge to comply short boats requirements,so where is the best place in Antibes and reasonable price to graduate "Advanced Engineering "course and does it worth it? I have nice experience on mega yacht as Electronic Engeneer ,but obviously im too expencive(4000euro/month),that is why i need to find some better solution for unemployment,may i have your oppinion as genneral.For best Replys i can share my camper van with someone else,FIAT HEKU 1.9 TD ,6+2 person with rest room and bathroom shared ,hotwater boiler,gas heater,fridge 12V/220V and gas,cooking ,internet,TV a lot of fun and JUST LIFE IS GOOD.BY THE WAY PLS FIND MY OUT ON E-MAIL TSURINSKI@ABV.BG OR SKYPE TSURINSKI OR https://www.facebook.com/yuliyan.tsurinski
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:47 AM
Hi there.... Don't want to be a party pooper ..... But my son did the dockwalk thing coming up 2 years ago.  Seriously if you have no money to start off with, you certainly wont after 6 weeks walking the docks.  An increasing number of newbies are turning up, thus making it even harder to get that dream position.  If you re truly serious about a job .... You'll have to do Cannes and Monaco ....possibly Ciotat or even through to Italy!   It all costs money!  Crew Agents might be your key .... Get on line NOW! Gain some experience NOW...you can fit in a course between now and April.   You will be rubbing shoulders with people who have done this before!  My son came away for there totally demoralised because this is the careerpath he has chosen ..... Not just a summer job!  As soon as he came away, he was snapped up through Crew Agents .... And luckily now enjoys a superb lifestyle!
Matt Talmage
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:12 PM

Hi Anna

I've just done my YachtMaster with Quality-time training and i have my final STCW95 module with Bob at Quality time on Portland on the 8th Feb, is that when you're going to be there?

jdt1987
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:27 PM

Hi everyone! I'm heading out end of March. Does anyone have an average from experience as to how long it takes to find a position? I'm a chef and heard it is slightly different for chefs? Any advice would be great as I am also new to this sector!
AnnaBelton
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:49 PM

Hi Matt,

Yes I will be doing my STCW starting on the 8th of feb so will see you there

Nichola Borellini
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:15 PM

Hey Anna and everyone 

I'm heading to the Antibes around April 15th, I'm sort of fumberling my way through all this and would love to meet others who are in the area around the same time 

Nichola 

sophs_c
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:57 PM

I was a newbie in March last year and booked into the Crew Grapevine (book early as it can be busy!) I spent the first week getting used to my surroundings and taking it all in, meeting new people around Antibes and going to all the agencies. I definitely recommend registering with all of them online before you even step through their door, complete all the forms, upload all your documents including STCW papers, medicals and anything else like WSET courses. Then they might just take your seriously when you walk in, you normally then have a chat to an agent which is essentially a mini interview and if they like you or think you are right for a position then they will forward your CV to the respective boat. 

I did maybe half a day dock walking in Antibes and to be honest without any experience, expect people to take your CV's but I didn't hear back from any of them. But maybe I was just rubbish at it! haha
Boats do look for newbies with good transferable skills as they can then train you how they like, so just be positive about what you are good at. Yes it is hard work in the season and boring in the winter if you're somewhere dull, but you'll be an expert at cleaning clean things and be able to show off your new found ironing skills! (I had never picked up an iron..) Also be prepared to develop OCD if you don't have it already!  
I was very lucky finding a job within two weeks of being in Antibes. I'm on an awesome boat with a great crew. I've just been promoted to second stew and I'm about to complete my year in March and stay on for the next season.  So it can be done! Pretty much everyone I met in the crew grapevine went on to get jobs and it's a great place for networking. One of the newbies landed a job with a Chief Stew who was in the grapevine too, they got on well and kept in touch and she offered her the job, so it's not what you know but who you know! 
Antibes is great fun but don't get sucked in, it's much more fun to go back there when you have a job and money to spend! 
Anyway Good Luck to everyone! 

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:08 AM

I too was a newbie in March 2013. The GV is a great place but as all have said, very expensive. It's more of a service than a hostel, though.

I don't really agree with Sophs_c on the dockwalking comment. Do not for a moment think you can get away without dockwalking. It is free advertisement and although everyone does it, and yes you all feel awkwardly similar, it is just the done thing. Agencies will place new girls, but guys, well, you can just fish...

sophs_c
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2014 3:06 PM

I do agree that dock walking has it's successes and is a very worthwhile exercise. Even if it's just to get your face out there, get to know the boats and start networking with anyone you find on the docks. I'm just saying that if your skills are not in dock walking (as mine perhaps weren't!) then don't lose hope, there are other ways of finding work!
Harry Toulson
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 11:17 AM

To clarify; Is it worth applying to the crew agencies if you are a man? Or is it best to just look for day work and hope to progress to a full time job onboard? 

What is the best way to dress for a dockwalk? 

When is the best time to arrive in Antibes?

Finally, how are people doing their banking? 

Many thanks! 

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:21 PM

Harry

Yes, register with the crew agencies, there is no harm in doing it. Make them remember you, Fiona at YPI is good, take her some macaroons from Jean Luc Pele by the square and make a joke out of it. I said something like, "I'm going to keep bringing you more and more until you put on so much weight that you just have to find me a job for your own health." Needless to say, despite a massive queue every time I went in after that, she would see me and wave me over ahead of all the others. This isn't about making best mates with other newbies, it's about winning.

Dockwalking: I always wore a white shirt with a smart black jumper over the top, smart trousers, and smart shoes or dock shoes. I carried my day working clothes in my bag, along with a folder of CVs and BUSINESS CARDS. Set yourself apart from the rest. Don't just wear khaki/navy shorts with a white polo. You are not a yachtie. Would you stand outside a fire station in a fireman's outfit and expect a job? No.

When to arrive: March is good. Get ahead of the seasonnaires and the people with experience. Antibes explodes in April/May. You need to catch the boats heading back early. A friend of mine got to Antibes in March, went to see Fiona at YPI, she hooked him up with a very nice well known boat. He was employed within 2 weeks. They had the time to train someone rather than chance their luck with a yachtmaster in late April.

Banking: if you're British, it doesn't matter too much, aside from you'll get stung on the exchange rate when you get paid. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY ANY TAX AS A BRITISH CITIZEN WORKING ABROAD FOR MORE THAN 6 MONTHS OF THE YEAR. Do NOT open a French account. You'll be legally obliged to pay tax in France. I have my pay put into an offshore account in the Isle of Mann purely so I have in my bank what I get paid, and can transfer it to my UK account using a private forex account, thus saving roughly €300 on each €5000 transferred in comparison to doing it bank to bank.

I'll probably see some of you around in Antibes in March, but you won't know it's me...

Studiooldtown
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:16 AM

Hi All,

It is a great idea to stay in the crew houses to network and meet people when you first arrive to Antibes. When you are settled and are looking for a Studio or Apartment with some of you new buddies send me an email as I have a number of studios and apartments for rent in Antibes. Also if you are coming to Antibes early to do courses send me an email sometimes it is easier to Study in a quiet Studio than a loud Crew house.

Studiooldtown@ gmail.com

Kaleigh Payne
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 5:34 PM

Hello  
My Name is Kaleigh  
I am going to the Antibes prob in February Anna I was looking for you on Facebook but I couldn't find you...I would really like to make friends and get advice before I go I am from South Africa and I did my STCW and Stew course in DEC 2013 
Kaleigh

Kirstie.P
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 7:37 PM

Hiya I'm a newbie too! Hoping to head out to Antibes for March/April with a friend who has some experience in the industry - this group sounds like a great idea to meet people heading out there feel free to add me on fb!
Kirstie.P
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 7:38 PM

Also I did my STCW 95 here in the UK at the UKSA
JamieThompson
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:40 PM

Hi Kirsty did you do your course in Cowes on the Isle of Wight? If so how was it?
JamieThompson
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:43 PM

Hi, do you have any idea of what it is like for chefs finding work? Or is it pretty much the same drill?
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 7:33 AM
Jamie, chefs get work sooner and quicker, so long as your providence is strong, i.e. Paris, London, NYC. You may have to be prepared to take deck/chef or crew cook/deck just to get on board. After a year you will then be hitting more galley orientated roles.

JamieThompson
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:59 PM

Thank you for your comment. I am from the UK and my background is Michelin star/Rosette so hopefully I shouldn't have too many problems. I am ideally looking for a Head Chef position but I am heading to Antibes with a realistic mind set to take a lower position purely because of my complete inexperience working on yachts. I just hope that there are a lot of jobs to be taken. I'm flying out on the 3rd of April is this too late?
Cheftothesea
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:54 AM

Hey all, I'm flying out 22nd march and I'm staying at crew grapevine.. Any body else there at this time?
AnnaBelton
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:08 PM

That's where I will be staying, will be there a little earlier, but may still be there when you arrive if i haven't found a job happy
Cheftothesea
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:08 PM

When are you due to arrive Anna? And are you registering with agency's before you head out? 

Hopefully you will have found work before I get there, but if not see you soon  

DavidT-M
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:16 AM

Hi All,

I'll be coming from Australia in March to look for a deckhand position. I was wondering what people were doing for accommodation. It'd be good to meet new people and maybe even save money by renting a unit or something. When were you all thinking of heading over?

Golden6187
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:35 PM

I'm heading out to Antibes in march time, the dates aren't set in stone yet. Has anyone sorted accommodation out yet? I'm looking for an Engineering position, i've just passed my MEOL(Y) hopefully i find something before i head out.
joelcollado
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 10:19 AM

Hi Jamie me and my chef friend are going to Antibes in March simply because the season starts in April simply put try to undercut the competition as u can see in the forum so is everyone and it's better if you are ther early to give you a better chance of getting a job and more time for day works I was told that boats will not hire anybody that has no experience in boats so dock walk is the best way to get it
jackhunting
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 8:53 PM

Hi Anna, I'm going to be hading out to Antibes in June after the last of my A-levels, you mentioned you were looking at The Crew Grapevine as a possible crew house.. I would personally recommend it. I had such a good time there last year when I went out to take my qualifications with Bluewater. I was in Grapevine's portside house and the atmosphere was great, very social and also well equipped. So if you're still planning on staying there I could well see you there. I'm Jack, 18 and a newbie to the industry despite going out to Antibes for 3 weeks last year to get the qualis and a bit of an insight into yachting. All the best
Jason-RSA
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:22 AM

Hi All

Im From South Africa, heading to Antibes in March! Looks like ill be staying in the grapevine as well. First season for me. Admittedly I'm feeling nervous (sure I'm not alone on this one) but also excited to start this new adventure and career change, been hearing so much from friends who have done this and are now well established . Im looking to get into engineering, got my AEC and did the 4 week course at PYT, awesome experience!

Good luck to everyone for the new season!

Besniq82
Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:42 AM

Hi all i`m heading back to Antibes end of march,im planing ot stay in cew grapevine,very nice place cool ppl i was there for a week last november during my power boat , to check aswell all the agencies.By the way i`m from Bulgaria my name is Aleksandar. Im also new to the industry i`ll try to get my first yach job. As a deckhand deck/stew. Do you think guys i can use some of my skills that i have like  Iyengar Yoga and yumeiho therapy on a yacht.I`ll be also dckwalking until i get some daywork and the i can put it on my CV.
iia-s
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:15 PM

Hiya everyone! I'm 20 and all new to the industry. I don't really have any kind of work experience for the stewardess position I'm going for, but insanely stupid or not, I'm gonna try my luck! I thought about doing this a year ago but I felt like I was too young. But this year, it's happening! I know I'm super late with everything cuz I will only get to Antibes late May/early June. I'm now waiting to get an appointment for my medical and then I'll book my STCW 95 course, hopefully in April. I still don't know where to take the course though, because according to my research they don't organize the courses in Finland where I'm from. So any tips on a relatively cheap but professional course are well appreciated! Either way, I'm really excited/terrified to finally do this! I know my expectations might not be the most realistic ones, but I'd rather just stay positive and do something I really want. I'm extremely determined to make it happen! Edit: any tips on ANYTHING are well appreciated!
Dado
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 9:26 AM

U all shoud chek airbnb.com site for renting a room

The course STCW 95 at blue water si intersting and funny,but to stay at the grapewines is too expensive

See you all in Antibes

RossWhit
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:09 PM

Hi all,

Im heading to Antibes around June as thats when i finish Professional Culinary Course.

What is it like around June time?

Thanks,

Ross

Emma Roughley
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:17 PM

Anna and I were lucky enough to land a job on the same boat coincidentally, after meeting on Dockwalk! Anyway written this blog of my journey so far, enjoy 

www.yachtbird.weebly.com

Emma_11
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:25 PM

Hey guys,

I'm in town for the yacht show from 21-24th and need somewhere to stay... if anyone has a spare room or a couch please let me know as I'd rather stay in town that out in Nice.

Thanks!

email: emthekiwi@hotmail.com

hemingway
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:21 PM

Hi guys! 

I am completely new to the industry and looking to head out to Antibes in March 2015 to try to start my career as a stewardess on a yacht. 

I am not sure if anyone can help, but I have a special situation going on and just curious if anyone has advice...

Basically, I am a US citizen working as an au pair(nanny) in Biarritz, France at the moment. My au pair visa won't expire until December 2015. Therefore, I should be able to stay in France/Schengen zone for a while until I find a job. So here is where the questions come up:

1) Will it be more difficult/impossible to find a yachting job in Antibes as an American citizen as opposed to trying in Fort Lauderdale?

2) How does it work with the visa...once I get hired on a yacht, I will be sponsored and get a visa? (My au pair visa becomes obsolete once I quit the nanny job, pretty much.) 

3) Will having French as a second spoken language help my chances at all, or does it not really affect my chances? 

4) Also, I have heard age is an important factor...I will be 28.5 years old when I start seeking work in Antibes. Is this perceived as "old" to just be getting started as a stewardess? I'm in good shape and am a surfer, so i look the part, I would think.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to your responses.

Rachel

Anke L
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:39 PM

Hi Rachel!
I am also heading over to Antibes in March. I cannot help you with your questions but it would be great to know some people before I go over.  I am coming from South Africa (with an EU passport luckily) and very keen on this career path! Hope you come right with all your intel on travels. Anke

AnnaBelton
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:18 AM

I made a video of my first season most of it was super hard work but the days off were worth it , this is what you hopefully have to look forward to 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s9n3DM7okPM 

Average 4 out of 5
]