Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Hoping for a bit of advice for a newcomer to the industry!!
willsuk
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:16 PM

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on finding a job in Antibes for the Med season! I am heading down to Antibes just after the 20th of March in hope of finding a job on board a super yacht my main question is what job I should go for.....I spent my gap year working in the Maldives as a water sports instructor which I loved but having been sailing with my Dad from a young age I have always wanted to work on a yacht and eventually become a captain (years away I know!). My main concern is that applying to be a deckhand with only a powerboat level 2, SRC, STCW, ENG 1 & PWC (we had no formal qualifications while teaching out in the Maldives) probably won't make the cut, I was wandering whether I should perhaps use my experience as a cocktail bar tender & waiter I had during my three years at uni and go for a steward position, at least then having a season under my belt before applying for deck out in the Caribbean season?

I have a preference to work on 40m plus yachts but I can understand I may have to work my way up....

Final question, I have allowed €3000 for 5 weeks of job searching, accommodation, networking in bars etc is this reasonable? Once my 5 weeks are up I intend to assess the situation and decide if its worth staying in Antibes or going away and doing a bit more training!

Appreciate any responses, anyone heading down to Antibes late March/ early April let me know!!

Average 0 out of 5
]