Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Good course for Greenhorn deckhands to consider?
Eoin Mulligan
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:39 PM

So D-day is creeping up on me, 23rd of march isn't so far away anymore. Time is running out and my to do list is only getting longer. My question really is what course's/certs can you suggest for a NOOB , looking for work as a Deckhand in Antibes. I will be starting my STCW95 in BlueWater on the 24th of march, Also trying to find a Doctor In Dublin/Ireland who I can get my ENG1 from. I received my Power boat 1-2 at the start of the month So I feel I have to Basics necessary to start looking for work. As we all know though, for pretty much every Job/position nowadays, the basics just aren't enough anymore. Can anyone please suggest anything that may be worth considering going into the industry. Thanks and look forward to hearing from everyone.
DanielBR1992
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:39 PM

Hey Eoin, As far as certs go, STCW with Proficiency in Security and PBL2 is really all you need for that first job as the other certs such as Yachtmasters require seatime. Getting that first job is completely based on introducing yourself in networking and proving yourself in dayworking. Take heart!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:29 PM

If you can afford to spend some cash and time to invest in yourself do it. These courses are great and require no prerequisites as far as I remember:  AEC, Day skipper, Yacht Master Theory, Advanced Power Boat commercially endorsed.

Start with basics: do you get sea sick? Can you swim? Get some sea time, there are plenty of voluntary positions available so you can earn your water wings, especially during the summer months. I see you did the PBII, I would have advised you to skip it and go straight to Day Skipper Power, at least you learn some navigation as well as tying a bowline and manoeuvering an inflatable.

Eoin Mulligan
Posted: Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:36 PM

Thanks for the replays guys, right now I'm focusing on getting that first break and doing some day work, building up that reference list.

Average 0 out of 5
]