Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Hey everyone, I could use some advice
A.Dwelley
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:55 PM

I am new to this scene. I have always wanted to work on a ship, but never really thought it was an option. I want a change. I want to do something I have never done before. I also have little to no experience. If anyone on here has any advice on how to continue, or, even better, have a place on your crew I would be in your debt. Adam
Henning_1
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:47 AM

Well, the question begins, "Do you want to work on a ship or a yacht specifically?"  Yachting is a subset of ships in that they still operated in the same environment and must heed the same considerations, but there are considerations on a yacht that don't exist on most ships. There are also inland tugs as well as long haul, and then there's the entire offshore energy sector. Yachting is more about presentation, most yachts are used as mobile floating waterfront residences, they aren't optimized for going to sea for the most part, there's often a lot of lashing of furniture before setting on a passage. You must be extremely detail oriented and willing to put in a lot of time cleaning and polishing, that's 85% of the job on a yacht as a deckhand; it's all about the details and making them not only function properly but shine as well.

You don't give enough information about yourself to really give you any advice. If you are having a mid life crisis and are thinking to come in green at 40-45 years old, I'd say you have a tough path if you have no special skill set in the engineering and maintenance field to bring to the table. Cooking is another way onboard, or anther position in the stewards department. If you spent your life detailing cars and can run a buffer, you'll do we'll on deck. 

You're in for stiff completion from youngsters with more experience and qualifications who can be worked 16 hrs a day, you game to handle it? If not, the commercial world may be a better option, things are more laid back and you learn seamanship much faster.

A.Dwelley
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:19 PM

I'm 24, And hope this isn't a mid life crisis.  I am just growing up, and looking for the niche that I fit well into. I may not even do well on a boat, but its exciting to think that I could have a career on a ship. I had no idea that this profession was even an option. One of my friends is working on a boat for a year, and she turned me on to the possibility. I haven't received many responses to my interests, and so I figured it couldn't hurt to post on this forum. I am relocating to florida, and will work as hard as I can. I have a great work ethic. I just need someone to give me a chance.
Gabriel Poirier
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:12 PM

Hi, I think that if you wait for someone to give you a change, you may wait for a long time. You have to make your chance. You need to make it happen. First, read, ask around to find out as much as possible. If after that you think that you may fit into it, take your basic STCW, do some day work. You will need to spend $1000 to start. 

Go to the crew agencies, that may help you. Be ready to work, work and work. It is not an easy job. The dream that some people and TV show sell about yachting is not the reality.

Henning_1
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:55 PM

Not sure how good an idea heading to Florida now is, France is probably a better idea, you need STCW 95 Basic and an ENG1 medical. Might also think about Palma Mallorca.

Average 0 out of 5
]