Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Switching from Cargo ships to Yachts
Alex88
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:08 PM

Hello everyone I am a OOW on a 200m cargo ship and I was wondering is it possible to switch to the yachting industry again as a OOW on large yachts do I need any additional certification , do I have to start as a deckhand any advice on yachting agencies , apply online or fly to Antibes , Palma or other location , dockwalking ?

All advices are welcome!

Tnx

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:59 PM

Hey Alex, 

Check out a facebook page called YachtEase the may be able to answer some of your questions.

Good Luck 

www.marinepro.co.uk
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 11:03 PM

It is possible with tons of luck and turtle's patience.

Register in all on-line yacht crew recruiting agencies, show-up in Antibes, Monaco and Cannes to start checking-in regularly (weekly) from March/April onwards and be ready for hundreds advices how to re-design your CV to get noticed. Sure dock-walking too to get as much daywork experience as possible for your smooth transition although it will merely get you back to deckhand's role. OOW commercial job would find its match on bigger size segment motor yachts (>60m) while on smaller yachts you would be missing so necessary Bosun's valuable yachting maintenance skills.

Most importantly have your eye to the detail in every step of yours - presentable and smiling, adding a few yachting-related tickets wouldn't hurt too (Power Boat, RYA PWC Operator/Instructor, PADI Diver).

Best of Luck!

Average 0 out of 5
]