Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Country girl needing about Stcw95/interior training either in Antibes or South Africa?
Gem
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 4:25 PM

Hello everyone, 

I've been looking yachting for a while as a few of my friends are currently in the industry and with having 5 years experience in hospitality and sailing RYA experience i think its a great way to test my experience and take my life to a new level!

HOWEVER... 

There are hundreds of different courses at different prices. how do i know which ones are suitable and accepted around the world? i looked and was recommended bluewater in Antibes and because i'm based in the UK this is quite near. But i want to combine a STCW95 and an interior training. Saw another in Cape town offering that exactly for around 1200 pounds, in comparison to 2,500 pounds for them both in Antibes?

I'm so confused and in need of some friendly help and advice from you lovely people 

Thanks everyone, 

Gem 

obi-1
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:38 PM

Hi Gem,

Why don't you look at courses at Warsash or UKSA on the Isle of Wight (they have accommodation and meals included). Antibes is pretty pricy to stay in and unless you have a lot of money I would highly recommend getting those qualifications before heading to the crew agencies in Antibes. South Africa might be cheap but you still got to get there! 

Seems a bit silly to go abroad to do a course that might be recognised by the MCA etc when the MCA is UK based. 

I am from the IOW and did my STCW basic training at Warsash in 2004. It was all yachties on the course, so don't feel intimidated that it is for Merchant Navy cadets only...its not! Hope this helps.

Toby

Average 0 out of 5
]