Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
How transferable are land based qualifications?
alexkempin
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:49 AM

Hi dock talkers, quick question -

Do you think that having a degree in psychology would be helpful on a boat or would it work against me?

thanks, and no, I do not know what you're thinking! 

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:58 PM

Hi Alex...Many people working aboard yachts have university degrees. Neither helps nor hinders. I would prefer a degree in sports (teamwork), oceanography, or computer science (IT) before psychology. This is such a close and stress-inducing situation, I don't want someone who will overthink things. Most psychologists I know are not the easy-going, roll-with-the-punches personalities yachting requires. Intensity is definitely not an asset here!

If you do your STCW, learn a lot of knots, are proficient in cleaning inside and out, you will most likely get hired. But treating your teammates as equals is what it's all about. Good Luck.

Tom Summers
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:18 PM

Seriously, and no offense intended whatsoever, does that thing even offer advantages on land?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:27 AM
Obtaining, a degree in anything shows you can apply yourself , don't give up, can focus on a goal and can use your brain...so it counts for something. Psychology, depending on the type of course you did, is people orientated and an insight into peoples' behaviour, motivations, coping strategies, biases, backgrounds etc = all valuable knowledge & skills for working on a yacht. The comments above give you an idea of the type of people you may have to deal with. Psychology is a life skill course and very transferable. It is only a supplementary qualification though and more marine based practical skills are needed too.
Yachtguru
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2015 2:41 AM

Attaining a degree and not using it shows you clearly have no clue about what you wish to do and are perfectly suited to the drifter lifestyle which is yachting. 

Resumes that read like a nomadic tribes seasonal cycles hunting and gathering is how I'd summarize the competition chasing entry level positions.

That being said certain degrees hold value, and my best advice is understand most yachting crew are in yachting because they are looking for adventure, wish to evade conventional life and quickly find that yachting is far from professional and filled with drama and stress which is a symptom of a critical management, social responsibility and ethics problem.

Average 2 out of 5
]